[Xymon] hostname retrieval is broken after adding a host

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Feb 2 21:24:59 CET 2016

On 2/2/2016 5:42 AM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:
> On Mon, February 1, 2016 4:59 pm, John Thurston wrote:
- snip -
>> . . . why am
>> I the only one seeing this failure? Why aren't the folks running linux
>> having their alerts fail?

  - snip -
> It turns out the host info record here is *only* used for display groups
> and holiday lookups (probably rarely used), within the context of
> alerting.

And I suspect I am one of the few people using display groups to drive
my alerting. I resisted defining alert groups back in the BB days
because it seemed like too much work. When I moved to Xymon and I could
leverage my existing display groups, I jumped on board.

- snip -

> Can you please check the included two patches? One is an update for the
> previous one, which passes the alert check through (only adding the dummy
> record in --test mode to begin with), the other adds hosts.cfg reloading
> on intervals or on demand.

With these patches, my non-production server running 4.3.22 on Solaris
10 is running much better. This is very encouraging :)

Looking at the patch files and reading the new source, am I correct it
adds a couple of startup options to xymond_alert?
   --reload-interval=number-of-seconds
   --loadhostsfromxymond
where the first specifies the number of seconds after which the contents
of hosts.cfg should be reloaded, and the second says hosts.cfg could be
retrieved from xymond rather than the filesystem (similar to the
existing option for xymongen).

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services