[Xymon] Windows server folder size monitoring?

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Thu Aug 11 08:04:11 CEST 2016

Over the course of a few years I've worked out a few folders on most
Windows servers that need to be monitored for space usage, because the
GBs can pile up remarkably quickly otherwise. I discovered another one
today (Recycle Bin - because other users can leave stuff piled up in
there that's still filling the disk) which causes me to wonder what else
I'm missing. The process of actually deleting the offending files is a
more complicated issue, but the first step is knowing they are there at all!

I have the following folders defined, with thresholds of 200MB for
yellow and 500MB for red:

client-local.cfg:

[win32]
dir:C:\$Recycle.Bin
dir:C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER
dir:C:\Windows\Logs\CBS
dir:C:\Windows\Temp

analysis.cfg:

CLASS=win32
        DIR C:\$Recycle.Bin yellow SIZE<200000 TRACK=C-RCB
        DIR C:\$Recycle.Bin red SIZE<500000
        DIR C:\Windows\Logs\CBS yellow SIZE<200000 TRACK=C-CBS
        DIR C:\Windows\Logs\CBS red SIZE<500000
        DIR C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER yellow SIZE<200000
TRACK=C-WER
        DIR C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER red SIZE<500000
        DIR C:\Windows\Temp yellow SIZE<200000 TRACK=C-Windows-Temp
        DIR C:\Windows\Temp red SIZE<500000

--
David Baldwin - Senior Systems Administrator (Datacentres + Networks)
Digital Information Management and Technology

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.