[Xymon] New remote summaries fail with "Invalid new testname" with at least 4.3.27

Axel Beckert beckert at phys.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 3 16:19:33 CEST 2016

Hi,

we have a few scripts which generate their own web page and only send
summaries to the Xymon server. In the past, these messages worked and
looked like this:

  summary summary.mac.$vlan $topcolor http://$myname/mac/$vlan.html $date

"mac" showed up as row/hostname and $vlan showed up as column/test.

With not yet received values for $vlan, we get "Bogus message from …:
Invalid new testname: 'mac.dc2552'" error messages in the display of
the xymond test.

According to the xymond/xymond.c source code at line 620, that format
(especially "summary summary" seems expected.

But then again, if I look at the line generating that error message
(line 1254 in the same file), it seems that dots are no more allowed
in test names. (Existing ones are still allowed, probably in line
1251, and hence do not generate these errors and show up.)

So I tried to send messages of the format

  summary mac.$vlan $topcolor http://$myname/mac/$vlan.html $date

But now the Remote Status Display table vanished completely from
nongreen.html and I get "Hostname 'mac' in tree, but no host-info"
warnings in the display of the xymond test.

So I reverted that change and now the Remote Status Display table is
back, but so are the "Invalid new testname" errors.

Is this a recent regression? (I found mails on this list about if
summaries really have been fixed in 4.3.20, but without much details.)

Or am I missing something? Has the format of these messages become
stricter on purpose? If so, where are they documented? The "SENDING
SUMMARIES TO REMOTE XYMON SERVERS" section in hosts.cfg(5) seems to be
about "summary" items inside hosts.cfg, not about the syntax of the
summary messages.

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert at phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 6                  voice: +41 44 633 41 89