[Xymon] issue with standard graphs

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Apr 12 20:21:52 CEST 2016

On Tue, April 12, 2016 11:07 am, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> I have xymon 4.3.26 installed and I'm seeing this messages in my logs:
>
> Bug - duplicate RRD data with same timestamp 1449091405, different data
>
> The result seems to be "choppy" graphs... Not a HUGE deal but irritating.
>
> Could it be a problem with rrdtool? 1.3.8?

Hi Bruce,

There were some issues with older RRDtool versions occasionally, but I
don't believe that was affected by them. Typically that error will reflect
what is actually going on -- somehow, xymon (at least at RRD storage time)
is seeing duplicate data.

To track down the source, you'll want to isolate what common components
are involved. Is the error occurring on all graphs? Only graphs for a
specific host? All hosts but for a specific test? Only certain status
tests for that host? Or only certain interfaces/partitions for the host?

If it's happening globally, it might be something as simple as having two
copies of xymond_rrd running for the same channel (there should be one for
the status channel and one for the data channel).

If it's tied to a specific host, there could be issues with multiple
client reports coming in, such as two servers reporting as the same
hostname.

One trick for getting a better idea of what's going on is to view the raw
data coming across a channel prior to parsing. Commands like:
  xymoncmd xymond_channel --channel=status grep ^@@status

... can be quite helpful in getting a feel for what various workers are
seeing or dealing with.

HTH,
-jc