[Xymon] Adding client tests to the xymon server

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Sep 8 21:37:04 CEST 2015

On Tue, September 8, 2015 12:15 pm, Ryan Skadberg wrote:
> I'm sure this has been asked and answered a million times, but my
> Google-Fu
> seems to a bit off to find the answer (I'm blaming the three day weekend
> :)
>
> So, normally, I add a test to clientlaunch.cfg to get it running on the
> local machine running xymon-client.  This does not seem to be working on
> the Xymon server itself.  I have a few local network and other tests that
> run on all servers and want to run them on the server too and adding them
> to the normal client config file isn't working.
>
> What is the procedure to add local client tests on the server?
>
> Thanks!
> Skadz

Skadz,

In a "tarball" configuration (a/k/a "by default"), when running xymon on
the server, only the /etc/xymon/tasks.cfg file is read in. You can add
your snippet into that file (or a tasks.d/ directory, if you're using one)
and it should run properly.

You'll want to pay attention to whether your script has a need to
distinguish between the "server" and "client" configurations for some
command or other (or for the destination of the report it's generating)
and will want to adjust your ENV line in the config to (eg.)
/etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg or /etc/xymon-client/xymonclient.cfg as
appropriate.

By default, the Terabithia RPMs include in the
/etc/xymon-client/clientlaunch.cfg file when reading the
/etc/xymon/tasks.cfg file, so any changes there should also apply to the
server's run as well.

(This is something I foresee applying to the base release in the future as
well.)

HTH,

-jc