[Xymon] Upgrading Question 4.3.8 to 4.3.21

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Oct 30 21:53:53 CET 2015

On 10/30/2015 12:51 AM, Zach Boss wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been testing out monitoring tools, and I have really liked what
> Xymon can do. I have been using a the VM demo (Debian 6) Version
> 4.3.8. I have upgraded that to the Debian 8. I have reconfigured
> everything to reflect what I am looking for, but for the life of me
> when I try to upgrade it to 4.3.21. It never reflects on the webpage.
> Everything runs smooth, but would like to newest version. I am not
> sure if I am doing something wrong during the installation or what.
>
> I have restarted xymon, appache, server, and have reinstalled it. I
> guess my question is.. How do you upgrade? Do I need to turn of 4.3.8?
> Is it pointing to the wrong files? Is the install different?

Hi Zach,

Glad you like it! :)

Not being familiar with the install layout on the demo itself, it seems
like there could be a couple of things here...

First, validate that the actual binaries have been updated. If the Demo
is using a packaged version, you'd want to update the package. If a
tarball + make + make install, likewise. The xymon client binary has a
--version option, and you can query the running xymond server by sending
it a "ping" message (xymon localhost "ping", in most cases).

Assuming that has been updated, you'll want to validate that xymongen
has actually replaced the existing file layout. Check the logs for any
errors there (/var/log/xymon/xymongen.log, by default). If it's updating
properly, the timestamp at the top of each static HTML page (not the
svcstatus.cgi page load) should be relatively current and the version in
the lower right corner should be correct.

 From a general perspective, the only "gotcha" between 4.3.8 and 4.3.21
for a (basically) new install might be in how CGIs are loaded. The shell
wrappers were replaced with hardlinks to a 'cgiwrap' binary in 4.3.18
after the Shellshock issue came out. That might require
updating/tweaking your apache config snippet.

Let us know if that fixes the problem!

HTH,
-jc