[Xymon] Xymon maintenance

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Fri Oct 23 16:19:13 CEST 2015

I do a similar thing. If we have a xymon storm, like if we lose a WAN link to a major part of our network, we will change the alias of who receives the email to 'nobody'.

That way, there is still the paper trail of notifications, but the inbox doesn't get hammered.

-----Original Message-----
From: Xymon [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Becker Christian
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 1:34 AM
To: 'Eli'
Cc: xymon
Subject: Re: [Xymon] Xymon maintaienance

Hello,

we do this that way, that using a script in cron, at a certain time we copy alerts.cfg to alerts.cfg.work and copy an empty alerts.cfg.empty to alerts.cfg.
If the file alerts.cfg is empty, there's no reason for Xymon to do any alerting.
After this certain time, we copy the original file alerts.cfg back in place.

For my opinion this is a bit easier to do than writing a DOWNTIME statement to all of your nodes that are configured in hosts.cfg

Regards
Christian

Mittelrhein-Verlag GmbH
August-Horch-Straße 28
D-56070 Koblenz
Verleger und Geschäftsführer: Walterpeter Twer
Reg.-Gericht Koblenz HRB 121
Finanzamt Koblenz Str.Nr. 22 65 10 285 2
www.rhein-zeitung.de