[Xymon] Should a HTTP 304 response be green or yellow?

Axel Beckert beckert at phys.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 6 15:46:22 CEST 2015

Hi,

one our HTTP checks went yellow today because the Apache being tested
responded with a "304 Not Modified" HTTP code, and the check went
yellow.

"304 Not Modified" is generally a valid HTTP answer which does not
indicate a problem but rather a properly working server -- if the
client provided the according meta information, namely either the
If-Modified-Since or If-None-Match HTTP headers.

But xymonnet doesn't seem to send either of them, at least according
to a quick grep through the xymon's source code.

So I think that if xymonnet receives a 304 reply, there must be
something wrong on the server side (broken reverse proxy or similar),
hence the yellow state is some kind of justified.

What do others think about that topic?

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert at phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 6                  voice: +41 44 633 41 89