[Xymon] rrdtool binaries/libraries used by Xymon?

Matt Vander Werf mvanderw at nd.edu
Sat Oct 3 15:15:53 CEST 2015

Thanks, J.C.!

Makes sense to me. I didn't think of it that Xymon could be using the
rrdtool libraries rather then the binaries themselves.

I went and installed the new rrdtool version RPMs from your website (thanks
for creating those BTW!) and the install seemed to go just fine.

Is there any way to be able to know if my Xymon server is in fact using the
new rrdtool libraries that were added/changed with the new rrdtool version,
other then just looking to see if my graphs changed (which I'm not entirely
sure that they actually will)?
I do see that Xymon (more specifically, the xymond_rrd binary) is using the
librrd.so.4 library as a shared library dependency...

[root@<hostname> ~]# ldd /usr/libexec/xymon/xymond_rrd
    librrd.so.4 => /lib64/librrd.so.4 (0x00007fdeaccd5000)

which is a symlink to the new librrd.so.4.3.0 library that was added with
the new rrdtool version (where it was using librrd.so.4.2.1 previously), so
at least it appears that Xymon is using the new rrdtool library. Is this
what you were referring to when you said it uses the rrdtool libraries?

Or will I not see any changes to my existing graphs just with a new rrdtool
version? If so, is there a way to tell it to redraw my existing graphs
using the existing data and new rrdtool library? Is there someplace else
(logs, other files, etc.) that will tell me which rrdtool version/library
my Xymon server is using?

(And, yes, I did restart the xymon server service after installing the new
rrdtool RPMs!)

Thanks for your help!

--
Matt Vander Werf