[Xymon] Xymon 4.3.24 Released

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Nov 24 21:21:32 CET 2015

On Tue, November 24, 2015 11:48 am, Mark Felder wrote:
>> On Nov 24, 2015, at 13:44, J.C. Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org> wrote:

>>> I was just contacted by a user regarding this situation and they noted
>>> their 301 redirect was showing up as yellow instead of green. We should
>>> really mark 301 as green too...
>>

>> Unlike the bug, that being a yellow is actually working as intended. A
>> 301
>> being a Permanent Redirect that points to a different URL and indicates
>> the browser to update bookmarks, etc... The reason it wasn't put into
>> the
>> same override as 302/303/307 is that it's (in theory) a permanent config
>> put in place and not something that would vary based on a transient CMS
>> decisions, load balancers, or other dynamic things.
>>

>> To duplicate what an end-user is seeing, the "real" URL should be tested
>> (since xymonnet isn't following it through); to ensure the previous
>> location is perm-redirecting properly (instead of temp redirecting) it
>> should be indicated as such with httpstatus=
>>

>> That all being said, a way to configure default behavior for each
>> installation (a list of overrides checked for before the ranges are
>> used)
>> is *definitely* on the list for putting into 4.4. Different
>> administrators
>> can clearly have different requirements there.
>>

>> Regards,
>> -jc
>>

> But 301 used to be green, and now users have to change their xymon config
> to get it to be green again.

This is true, however this was in fact specifically called out in the
release notes:

The specific changes from previous versions are:
 - 401 and 403 response codes are now considered Critical (were OK)
 - 301 Permanent Redirect response code is now considered a Warning (was OK)
 - "Extended" or new HTTP status codes in the 4xx and 5xx range
   are now considered Critical (unknown codes were previously a Warning)

In the case of 301, 401, and 403 HTTP codes, if you're expecting to receive
this HTTP status from a URL query, you should add the code explicitly to
the check by using the "httpstatus" syntax (see hosts.cfg(5)).
Basic HTTP Authentication is supported for testing logins to a site.

-jc