[Xymon] "acceptonly" behavior

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Nov 17 18:41:45 CET 2015

On 11/16/2015 7:39 PM, Jeremy Laidman wrote:
> This seems like a really neat idea.  I think it would be useful to have
> rejected updates show up in the same way as ghosts in the ghost report.
> And/or the host's "info" page.

I could go for inclusion on the host's "info" page, but would really
dislike it being treated like a "ghost". Having the xymond test column
flapping yellow because some unauthorized workstation (a ghost) is
sending me messages is bad enough. Having it bounce yellow because a
host is sending messages I have specifically excluded would be awful.

> I wonder if the matching syntax can support exclusion as well as
> inclusion, so we might say "accepttests=*:!cpu,!disk" to accept all but
> not CPU and disk.  Alternatively, two keywords (such as "acceptonly="
> and "acceptnot="), perhaps mutually exclusive or "last one wins", would
> be sufficient.

I am certainly not _opposed_ to a "!" syntax.  For my business need,
"acceptonly" with an inclusion list is perfectly adequate. My need is to
prevent noise. If I blackball specific tests, the noise can just be
moved to a test with a new name. Yes, in some cases it could make the
acceptonly tag a little long-winded. But if I can use it on the
.default. line, I won't have to type it very often.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration