[Xymon] Purple after reboot

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Nov 17 04:45:36 CET 2015

On Mon, November 16, 2015 6:09 pm, Mark Connor wrote:
> I have approximately 500 Linux servers managed my xymon. My managed
> clients reboot monthly. A small percentage come up purple and stay purple
> until the client software is restarted. Sound familiar?

Hi Mark,

Short answer is that that shouldn't happen. Overall, the client is
designed to be pretty fail safe. Assuming that the client is configured to
start on boot, that's an indication that there's something unusual going
on. Going purple is just by design there (purple = stale alert; something
that was sending statuses hasn't sent something recently).

On a machine where this has happened, are there any processes stuck at
all? Typically, xymonlaunch should be the only process that remains
running, aside from backgrounded 'vmstat's. Everything else will be a
transient shell script or the 'xymon' binary.

Assuming xymonlaunch IS running, try sending it a -USR2 signal to toggle
debug mode. Its log file should indicate if it's having problems executing
something or if there's something odd about its environment. (cat
/proc/<pidoflxymonlaunch>/environ to examine.)

If nothing seems obvious there but nothing is making it in, edit
xymonclient.sh to add "--debug" to the $XYMON execution call near the
bottom ($XYMON --debug $XYMSRV ...), before restarting it, and verify in
the log file that it's sending to where it's supposed to be.

HTH,
-jc