[Xymon] weird http test issue on 4.3.21

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Nov 5 14:44:03 CET 2015

On Wed, November 4, 2015 11:00 pm, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> I have a set of name based virtual hosts that I am testing.  the hosts.cfg
> for this looks like this:
>
> page Web_Sites "Web Sites"
> group-only http|info|trends
> WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ  site1.org    # noconn  http://site1.org/sitemap.xml
> WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ  site2.com    # noconn http://site2.com/sitemap.xml
*skip*

> all of the sites but the first work.  I've tried, just for fun,
> re-arranging the order of the sites... No change.
>
> I notice the XYMONNETSVCS set is : smtp telnet ftp pop pop3 pop-3 ssh imap
> ssh1 ssh2 imap2 imap3 imap4 pop2 pop-2 nntp ftps telnets smtps submission
> msa pop3s imaps nntps ldap
> ldaps rsync bbd clamd spamd svn oratns qmtp qmqp amqp amqps vnc cupsd
> ajp13 rdp netbios-ssn snpp ircd lpd
>
> There doesn't seem to be any http test defined.
>
> The apache logs for the failing site show no access to sitemap.xml
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi,

'http' as a test shouldn't need to be listed in XYMONNETSVCS explicitly
since it's handled by its own conversation mechanism, and a problem there
would end up affecting all 'http' tests, not just that one.

If it's following the hosts.cfg entry around, it's probably xymonnet
really seeing it as in bad state.

- What's the error message given in the http test for the one that's failing?

- Can you get to the site using wget from your monitor server? Ruled out
network/DNS?

- Are you using SNI on this server, or is there anything distinct about
that one vhost? Try toggling --sni/--no-sni

- Try running xymonnet in debug mode (just that one host) and see what it
gives you:

xymoncmd xymonnet --debug  --ping --checkresponse --test-untagged site.org

HTH,

-jc