[Xymon] suppress log contents from 'msgs' column ?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed May 13 18:43:14 CEST 2015

In testing 4.3.20, I've noticed that the 'msgs' column (for hosts
running the xymon solaris client) contain lines from my logs even when
they are reporting 'green'. I don't really want the contents of
/var/adm/messages leaked to every viewer of my Xymon web interface.

I now see that this behavior is also on my 4.3.17 server. I've just
never noticed it because:
A) I never visit any 'green' bubbles
B) I only have three hosts running the xymon client

When the test goes 'red', I can see value in displaying the offending
lines from the log, but I can't see any value in continually leaking
arbitrary lines of my logs to arbitrary users. Is there an easy way to
suppress these log lines from the green status messages?

Argh. I've only now noticed that the 'cpu' column is also spilling all
of my running processes. I thought I had taken care of that problem when
I suppressed the 'procs' column. Does anyone actually derive value from
having this information continually published on the Xymon web interface
for all the world to see?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services