[Xymon] hosts.cfg "mutlihomed" tag broken?

Gavin Stone-Tolcher g.stone-tolcher at its.uq.edu.au
Fri Mar 27 01:09:52 CET 2015

> Is it "multihome" like you have here or is it "multihomed"?

Yes that extra “d” really does make a difference! I was using “multihome” in my hosts.cfg. My only excuse is I must not have had enough caffeine.
I also apologise for my inept attempts at interpreting c code ☹

> You could disable --statussenders. Or you could add dummy host entries with the alternate IP addresses.

Hmm, seems I misunderstand what “multihomed” is supposed to do. I thought it would allow a multihomed client to report in from more than one IP without the addition of said IPs to xymond “–status-senders”.

We have a quite a few multihomed windows systems where for some reason the default interface for transmission seems to randomly change.
The MS guys responsible for the systems don’t seem to be able to configure it them to come from the same IP reliably. This seems to particularly be the case if the IPs are on the same subnet and interface.
I just want the client tests to not turn purple when this happens and continue working. I point out that we are mainly still running the old BBNT client, slowly migrating to Powershell Xymon client.
I would prefer not disabling the “—status-senders” if at all possible. Maybe this is not possible?

Cheers,
Gavin Stone-Tolcher, IT Support Officer, Network Operations and Incident Response
Information Technology Services
The University of Queensland
Level 4, Prentice Building, St Lucia 4072
T: +61 7 334 66645, M: +61 401 140 838
E: g.stone-tolcher at its.uq.edu.au<mailto:g.stone-tolcher at its.uq.edu.au> W: www.its.uq.edu.au<http://www.its.uq.edu.au>

ITS: Service. Team. Accountability. Results.

IMPORTANT: This email and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s), contain copyright material and are confidential. We do not waive any legal privilege or rights in respect of copyright or confidentiality. Except as intended addressees are otherwise permitted, you do not have permission to use, disclose, reproduce or communicate any part of this email or its attachments. Statements, opinions and information not related to the official business of The University of Queensland are neither given nor endorsed by us. By using this email (including accessing any attachments or links) you agree we are not liable for any loss or damage of any kind arising in connection with any electronic defect, virus or other malicious code we did not intentionally include.

CRICOS Code 00025B