[Xymon] No Interface graphs for hosts on CentOS 7..

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Mar 13 07:43:36 CET 2015

On 13 March 2015 at 13:08, J.C. Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org> wrote:

> A bigger issue is that in the fancy new late-Fedora/EL7 world, "ifconfig"
> is deprecated (actually, it's apparently been deprecated for like a decade
> in favor of 'ip', but I don't know anyone who doesn't use it) thanks to
> the move away from SysV initscripts and is no longer installed by default.

Ah, that makes sense.  Well given that it's deprecated, I suppose the Xymon
client script and server-side parser should probably have been adjusted to
cope with this, sometime in the last decade.

On the client, we could perhaps use "netstat -ibn" (like on BSD-based
systems, and HPUX) and use the existing parsing code on the server.  If we
use "ip -s" then we'll need new parsing code on the server side.

The FREEBSD parsing on the server first looks for the V8 format then falls
back to the original format if it doesn't match.  The Linux parsing could
do the same, so if the Linux parsing string fails to match, look again
using a suitable *BSD parsing string.

Then on the client side script, it'd be something like:

[ -x /bin/ifconfig ] && /sbin/ifconfig || netstat -ibn