[Xymon] Powershell Client - removing test

Brandon Dale BDale at kitchengroup.com.au
Wed Mar 11 23:23:31 CET 2015

1.       I am testing the PowerShell client and I would like to remove the msgs column and not have it check that

There is documentation for the powershell client here http://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/sandbox/WinPSClient/

To stop it checking events you would use <reportevt>0</reportevt> in the xymonclient_config.xml file that is stored on the machine you are monitoring.

2.       Also, how would I set it to monitor a service?

This isn't specific to the powershell client but you would specifiy this in the analysis.cfg file in xymon possibly something like

HOST=SQL01
                SVC MSSQLSERVER status=started startup=automatic

More info on that here: https://www.xymon.com/help/manpages/man5/analysis.cfg.5.html

SVCS status (Microsoft Windows clients)
SVC servicename status=(started|stopped) [startup=automatic|disabled|manual]

The PowerShell client also appears to have its own servicecheck option I haven't actually tried it but I think it's only for starting a stopped service rather than alerting on it. Which may be even better depending on your needs.

Regards,

Brandon