[Xymon] Xymon graphing from devmon - different template, same check name

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Thu Jun 4 14:22:19 CEST 2015

Hello Steve,

> I would have perhaps asked in the Devmon mailing list but my question is
> quite pertinent to Xymon too and this mailing list is a little more
> active with many using Devmon.
>
> I have a check, it's called temp.
>
> I have a Devmon template for an IBM UPS device and I have a template for
> an IBM PDU device.  Both have a temp check for reading temperature and
> humidity.
>
> The IBM UPS template has existed for a while and has been displaying temp
> graphs. I have temp=ncv, temp in GRAPHS and an entry in graphs.cfg and
> xymonserver.cfg.
>
> What happens when you introduce a temp check to a new device that has a
> different template?  Do you have to create an extra line in
> graphs.cfg/Xymonserver.cfg?  Is it the same name?
>
> ie do I have to use
>
> NCV_temp=temperature:GAUGE (temperature being what is parsed from message
> file of template)
> for template 1 (IBM UPS)
>
> and
>
> NCV_temp=pdutemperature:GAUGE (pdutemperature being what is parsed from
> message file of template)
> for template 2 (IBM PDU)
>
> OR
>
> Do I have to use a different check/column name for each use of
> temperature per device? I might use Devmon for temperature/Humidity
> readings on a UPS device, or a PDU, or a server, or a network device and
> the templates I use in Devmon will be completely different.  In which
> case I would have to use temppdu for example in
> xymonserver.cfg/Graphs.cfg alongside the existing temp

As fas as I know, you can only associate one graph template with one test
(column), the template having the same name as the test. It is thus not
possible to associate one template out of a set with a given instance of a
test (in other words with a given {test,host}-pair). However, you can
minimise the number of columns (in for instance 'all non-green' while it is
very hot) by having the various tests to deliver the same NCV-data.

I recognise your problem, wanting to show the temperature for various
network switches, some having only one temperature sensor, and some having
thirty sensors. This is solved by sending always 3 numbers, the minimum,
the average and the maximum value of all sensor values. For this purpose I
have extended Devmon with a new transformation, called STATISTIC. (See
patch #20 at http://sourceforge.net/p/devmon/patches/?source=navbar).

HTH,
   Wim Nelis.