[Xymon] Core File Alerts Problem

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Jul 31 06:59:15 CEST 2015

On 30 July 2015 at 00:54, Root, Paul T <Paul.Root at centurylink.com> wrote:

> I think you want /var/core/core.* in the client-local.cfg
>
> It's regex not just wildcard, so you need the . to stand for anything and
> * is 1 or more.

I'm pretty sure it's not a regex for the term in backquotes - the string is
simply given to /bin/sh to execute.  Can you test yours by creating a core
file?

I think the real problem is that the NOEXIST test won't even be executed
when there are no files, because there's no file to test against.

Consider if I wanted to test for the existence of /tmp/badfile, and go
yellow if it exists.  In client-local.cfg I would have:

file:/tmp/badfile

In analysis.cfg, I would have:

FILE %^/tmp/badfile YELLOW NOEXIST

This should work just fine.  Now consider if I updated client-local.cfg to
look like this:

file:

Now, what will happen?  The Xymon client will have no files to report, and
so there will be nothing relevant in the client data.  Therefore the entry
in analysis.cfg has no filenames to match on, and so won't even try.  The
fact that there's no filenames to test means that the file check goes
blank, reporting that the file check has not been setup yet.

By including a backtick expression that gives an empty result, you're
producing an outcome that you weren't expecting.

I think what might give what you need is something like this:

FILE:`ls -d /var/core; ls /var/core/core*`

When there are core files, the result of this will be as if you configured:

FILE:/var/core
FILE:/var/core/core91234
FILE:/var/core/core2244

And the line in analysys.cfg will match two of them, so YELLOW.

When there are no core files, the result will be as if you configured:

FILE:/var/core

And the line in analysis.cfg will not match, so GREEN.

It's green rather than clear because there is at least one "[file:]"
section in the client data against which the line in analysis.cfg can match.

Hope that helps!

Cheers
Jeremy