[Xymon] Alerts stop working

Brandon Dale BDale at kitchengroup.com.au
Tue Jul 14 02:04:49 CEST 2015

Hi Guys,

Recently I have started to have a problem where alerts stop sending emails and I'm not sure how exactly to troubleshoot. This has happened a few times over the last few weeks, my solution at the moment is to restart the xymon service in Debian and this fixes the problem and I start seeing emails again.

This is what I have done so far:

- Check the notifications log when I notice the emails have stopped, log has not been updated although I would expect to see something here as I can see tests going yellow/red in xymon.

- Pick a host that currently has a yellow/red alert and run  xymoncmd xymond_alert --test hostname msgs it matches the rule and matches script to send an email

- If I run a command like RCPT=bdale at kitchengroup.com.au BBHOSTSVC=my.host.dom.cpu BBCOLORLEVEL=red BBHOSTNAME=my.host.dom BBSVCNAME=cpu xymoncmd ./html_mail.pl it sends an email successfully.

If I restart the xymon service then I start to see the notifications.log file start updating again.. how can I troubleshoot?

This seems to happened every few days, I'm running 4.3.21.

Regards,

Brandon