[Xymon] Agent information

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Jan 28 20:29:09 CET 2015

On Tue, January 27, 2015 10:37 pm, Sanjana Ahlawat wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt reply. Many of my doubts got cleared from what you
> have answered but I would be really pleased if u can provide little more
> information on the process of data collection by client. It is clear that
> xymonclient.sh collects the data and is than forwarded to the server. But
> my main query is how does this collects(xymonclient.sh) data. I have an
> understanding that message data is read from system logs or error logs,
> but what about the cpu, disk and other information.
>
> Thanks and Regard
> Sanjana

Sanjana,

All of those values are collected as the raw output from various unix
shell commands.

"xymonclient.sh" checks its local OS type (eg, "linux") and then executes
(eg.) "xymonclient-linux.sh". That script simply executes basic utilities
like 'free', 'df', 'top', 'ps', etc... The output is appended to the
overall "client" message being sent back to the server.

Once it's received server-side, the xymond_client process listens for
incoming "client" messages, determines that it relates to an (eg.) linux
server, and evaluates the output of those free/df/top/etc. commands,
creating status messages as appropriate to reflect whether the CPU load
average has exceeded the defined threshold.

Note that when running xymonclient.sh in "--local" mode, xymond_client
actually runs on the client machine, which then sends those status
messages up to the server. However, the basic principle is the same:
xymonclient(-*).sh executes raw *nix commands and the output is parsed by
a different tool to isolate the cpu/disk/memory statistics.

HTH,

-jc