[Xymon] Renaming a test from UPPERCASE to NormalCase

Andy Smith abs at shadymint.com
Thu Feb 5 21:14:25 CET 2015

Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> In my experience, it is next to impossible to rename a test column.
> Whatever it first shows up as, that's what is remembered. I guess
> subsequent reports are matched case-insensitively, so any other
> upper/lower case combination is mapped to that first record.
>
> Or maybe things have changed since I last tried, but that's how I
> remember it. Rename was for hostnames only.
>
> Ralph Mitchell
>
> On Feb 5, 2015 11:48 AM, "John Thurston" <john.thurston at alaska.gov
> <mailto:john.thurston at alaska.gov>> wrote:
>
>     On 2/5/2015 6:52 AM, Becker Christian wrote:
>
>         All,
>
>         i want to rename a test column from UPPERCASE to NormalCase.
>
>         I tried this using the command:
>
>         xymon localhost “rename MYHOST DATANODE DataNode”
>
>         Unfortunately this doesn’t seem to work.
>

>     Did you try the ol' two-step?
>     “rename MYHOST DATANODE foo”
>     “rename MYHOST foo DataNode”
>
>     Is your test script reporting in as "DATANODE" or as "DataNode"?
>

>     --
>        Do things because you should, not just because you can.
>
>     John Thurston    907-465-8591 <tel:907-465-8591>
>     John.Thurston at alaska.gov <mailto:John.Thurston at alaska.gov>
>     Enterprise Technology Services
>     Department of Administration
>     State of Alaska

I believe this is still the case.  I went around a few buoys because our
DB people had created a test called "Cluster" and then our Unix people
created a test called "cluster", but the unix test appeared on the page
as "Cluster".  This distinction propagated though to analysis.cfg and
alerts.cfg and graphs.cfg as well.
--
Andy