[Xymon] your opinion on Xymon HA (or dual server config).

john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com
Wed Dec 16 14:25:40 CET 2015

I have encountered similar issues in the past and opted for the following script that I run via cron every 10 minutes.

It looks at the number of Xymon processes and if there are too few it attempts a restart and alerts me of the restart.  It is very simple, it is not perfect, but it does work (for me).

#!/bin/sh

PROC=`ps -eaf |egrep 'xymond|hobbitd'|egrep -v 'grep|ps -eaf'|wc -l`
PROC2=`ps -eaf |egrep 'xymond|hobbitd'|egrep -v 'grep|ps -eaf'`
HOSTNAME=`hostname`

echo "------------- `date` --------------" >/home/xymon/logs/am_I_running.log

ERROR=0

if [ "$PROC" -lt 1 ];then
   sleep 5
   PROC=`ps -eaf |egrep 'xymond|hobbitd'|egrep -v 'grep|ps -eaf'|wc -l`
   if [ "$PROC" -lt 1 ];then
      ERROR=1
   fi
fi

if [ "$PROC2" = "" ];then
   sleep 5
   PROC2=`ps -eaf |egrep 'xymond|hobbitd'|egrep -v 'grep|ps -eaf'`
   if [ "$PROC2" = "" ];then
      ERROR=1
   fi
fi

if [ "$ERROR" -eq 1 ];then
   echo "Number of processes: $PROC" >/home/xymon/logs/am_I_running.log
   echo $PROC2 >>/home/xymon/logs/am_I_running.log
   /home/xymon/server/xymon.sh start
   echo "** Restart attempt has been made." >>/home/xymon/logs/am_I_running.log
   mailx -s "$HOSTNAME Xymon may not be running - attempting restart" <youremail>@<yourdomain> </home/xymon/logs/am_I_running.log
   mailx -s "$HOSTNAME Xymon may not be running - attempting restart" <pagernumber>@<textsms> </home/xymon/logs/am_I_running.log
else
   echo "Number of processes: $PROC" >>/home/xymon/logs/am_I_running.log
fi

Thanks,
John
Upcoming PTO: 12/8, 12/15 & 12/16
John Rothlisberger
IT Strategy, Infrastructure & Security - Technology Growth Platform
TGP for Business Process Outsourcing
Accenture
312.693.3136 office