[Xymon] issue of runclient.sh on Solaris 10 Generic_147148-26

Randall Badilla Castro rbadilla at grupocesa.com
Tue Dec 15 22:48:34 CET 2015

Hi:
I'm recently updating xymon clients and find out the both Sparc or X86
Machines with Solaris 10+recent patches have problems with the tr command.

For example with my xymon server
[Time:14:48 User:monitor]$ uname -a
SunOS hssapl08 5.10 Generic_142900-06 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Fire-V210
[Path:/trabajo/monitor/client]
[Host:hssapl08 Zone:global]
[Time:14:48 User:monitor]$ cat /etc/release
                       Solaris 10 10/08 s10s_u6wos_07b SPARC
            Copyright 2008 Sun Microsystems, Inc.  All Rights Reserved.
                         Use is subject to license terms.
                             Assembled 27 October 2008

the xymon the runclient.sh script have
SERVEROSTYPE="`uname -s | tr '[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/]'
'[abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_]'`"  # This systems operating system in
lowercase
works fine.

But recent solaris 10 with patches (almost all machines use the same
.profile with KSH) don't pick /usr/ucb/tr instead use /usr/bin/tr which
cause "Bad string"  as output. Then the xymon client don't start fine.
--
Meanwhile I have modified the runclient.sh to
SERVEROSTYPE="`uname -s | /usr/ucb/tr '[ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ/]'
'[abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz_]'`"  # This systems operating system in
lowercase
then allowing to run the client.

Since Oracle Solaris® 11 team have stated the /usr/ucb utilities will be
deprecated some time after Solaris 11.3; I think this issue could be
relevant.

I'm playing the /usr/bin/tr to acomplish the task and then post findings.

Thanks a lot by this wonder software (xymon).

--

CONFIDENCIALIDAD - La información contenida en este mensaje es confidencial

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT - The information contained in this message is
confidential and intended only for the addressee. If the reader of this
message is not the intended recipient you are notified that any
dissemination, distribution or copy of this message and attachments (if
any) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this in error, please
immediately notify us by reply email, destroy all copies and remove from
all media.