[Xymon] PID file for XYMOND_ALERT

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Dec 1 21:06:52 CET 2015

So that I can kill off my errant process and keep xymon alerts flowing,
I need to identify that process. It seems like it would be simple to get
the right PID. I have xymon_history writing a pid file when it is
launched with the following line in my tasks.cfg

> CMD xymond_channel --channel=stachg --log=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/h.log xymond_history --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/x_h.pid

But I am unable to get xymon_alert to create this pid file. It isn't a
documented option on the man-page, but I had hoped the capability was
buried in the there anyway. It doesn't appear to be so :(

So I thought maybe I could get the pid of the parent by specifying
--pidfile on that instance of xymond_channel with:

> CMD xymond_channel --channel=page  --log=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/a.log --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/x_a.pid xymond_alert --debug --checkpoint-file=$XYMONTMP/a.chk --checkpoint-interval=600

but this doesn't seem to work either. The only way I can think to
identify the process is to
   pgrep -f "xymond_channel --channel=page"
which seems like a long way around the barn, but I can make it work.

Should I be able to get a pidfile written for this worker process, or it
simply impossible?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services