[Xymon] Xymon PS Client and External VBS scripts

martin.wojak at delwp.vic.gov.au martin.wojak at delwp.vic.gov.au
Thu Apr 30 07:14:26 CEST 2015

Dear All,

Does anyone have a way to run VBS External scripts via Windows Schedule
Tasks, and send the results directly back to the Xymon Server?

Martin.

----- Forwarded by Martin Wojak/DSE/VICGOV1 on 30/04/2015 03:06 PM -----

From:   Brandon Dale <BDale at kitchengroup.com.au>
To:     "martin.wojak at delwp.vic.gov.au" <martin.wojak at delwp.vic.gov.au>,
Cc:     "stef.coene at docum.org" <stef.coene at docum.org>
Date:   30/04/2015 01:44 PM
Subject:        RE: Xymon PS Client and External VBS scripts

Hey Martin,

I’m also just a sysadmin, this is something I have wanted to do as well as
there are some vbscripts I could use as externals but haven’t worked out
an easy way yet. I don’t really know vbscript either which doesn’t help L

These are the options I can think of:

1.       Use bbwin just for these external tests.
2.       Use Get-Content somehow in powershell to get the information you
need from the output of those scripts and send that to xymon using
xymonsend
3.       I “think” there is a way to run vbscript code inside powershell,
you could possibly put it inside a powershell script and send directly to
xymon.

The last and ideal option is rewrite them in powershell, I know there are
some similar scripts already out there but they would need to be modified
to work with xymon. For example
https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Get-PendingReboot-Query-bdb79542
and there are some nagios scripts that do similar things.

Option 1 is the easiest if you don’t have the time to play around with
PowerShell especially if you already have bbwin on all those servers. You
should be able to just disable all the normal tests for the bbwin client
by commenting out something in the .cfg file and use it only to send these
externals.

Regards,

Brandon Dale
Network Administrator

Kitchen | Group

1 Wella Way Somersby, NSW, 2250
T (02) 4343 6000 | D (02) 4343 6052 | F (02) 4343 6080
E BDale at kitchengroup.com.au
please consider the environment before printing this e-mail

Disclaimer: This communication is confidential and intended only for the
addressee. It may contain legally privileged information. By the use of
email over the Internet, Kitchen Group is not waiving either
confidentiality of, or legal privilege in, the contents of this email and
any attachments. If you are not the addressee you may not use, disseminate
or copy this information. If you have received this information in error
please notify us immediately. Whilst we have taken all reasonable care to
ensure that neither our system, this email nor any attachments has a
virus, it is impossible to guard against every possible virus. We advise
you to scan the email and any attachments with your anti virus software
prior to use. We do not accept liability for any loss or damage which may
arise from receipt of this email or any attachments.