[Xymon] Is there a reason why the httpstatus test is case sensitive?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Apr 1 19:47:59 CEST 2015

On Wed, April 1, 2015 10:07 am, John Thurston wrote:
> Yesterday, I crashed xymonnet by doing a copy/paste into an httpstatus
> test. I eventually figured out what was wrong.
>
> This syntax is good:
>    0.0.0.0  foo.com   # httpstatus;http://foo.com/index.html;401
> This syntax is bad:
>    0.0.0.0  foo.com   # httpstatus;HTTP://foo.com/index.html;401
>
> The man page for hosts.cfg doesn't say anything about required or
> supported casing. Is there some reason why xymonnet shouldn't be able to
> handle mixed-case protocol names in the URLs provided?

John,

Can't think of any... Case preservation should be done for the path, but
the protocol is irrelevant there. https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1738.txt
calls it out as a 'should', so it seems like a bug (I believe parse_url()
in lib/url.c). I'll roll this in.

Curious, did you get any sort of error log output before it went down?
Aside from case-insensitive matching, it's an indication we're not doing
sufficient error checking later on somewhere.

-jc