[Xymon] Cannot add a trends graph!

Steve Coile scoile at mcclatchyinteractive.com
Fri Sep 19 02:50:12 CEST 2014

I've spent way too much time trying to figure this out.  I've read,
re-read, and re-re-read a variety of documentation over and over again
trying to get this to work.  Help!

I wrote a script to collect data.  I'm sending it to Xymon (v4.3.12) with
something like the following:

"${XYMON}" "${XYMSRV}" '@' <<-EOT
data ${MACHINE}.trends
[${RRDNAME}.rrd]

DS:cnt:ABSOLUTE:600:0:U ${CNTVAL}

DS:pct:GAUGE:600:0:100 ${PCTVAL}
EOT

Even without any special configuration in *xymonserver.cfg*, the data is
accepted by the Xymon server and recorded in the expected RRD file.  *rrdtool
dump* on the file shows what I'd expect to see.

I created a *graphs.cfg* config for the data.  I can view a graph of the
data using *showgraph.sh*.

According to all the documentation I can find, to add the graph to the
(client) machine's trends column, I need to add the graph name to the
*$GRAPHS* definition in *xymonserver.cfg*, which I've done.  I've then
restarted *xymond*.  But the graph doesn't show up in the trends column.

Just in case, I also added the graph name to the *$TEST2RRD* definition in
*xymonserver.cfg*, then restarted *xymond*.  Still no graph in trends.
 Added "=ncv" after the graph name in the *$TEST2RRD* definition and
restarted *xymond*.  No good.

Added the graph name to the *TRENDS* option in the client machine's
*hosts.cfg* entry.  No good.

In all cases, I restarted *xymond* using *service xymon restart*.

I'm tailing *~xymon/log/*.log* while doing all of this and seeing nothing
that would indicate a problem with the graph definition or *xymonserver.cfg*
.

Help!

--

*Steve Coile*Senior Network and Systems Engineer, McClatchy Interactive
<http://www.mcclatchyinteractive.com/>