[Xymon] duration of MSG red status

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Oct 24 20:50:07 CEST 2014

On Fri, October 24, 2014 8:13 am, Nicole Beck wrote:
> Hello,
> I think this has been asked before, but it was a long time ago and I
> wondered if something changed since then.
>
> How long will the status of MSGS stay red?  We just setup monitoring
> recently and it seems like it stays red for about 30 minutes. Is that
> normal?  Is this configurable?
>
> We are running Xymon server 4.2.3.

Nicole,

The duration of the 'msgs' test is actually a function of how many cycles
back logfetch will scan for content to include in the log data going
forward (actual calculation of the color is via the regex's performed by
xymond_client).

logfetch will look back 6 runtime-positions which, combined with the
default xymonclient run interval of 5m, ends up causing the 30m figure.

The former value is compiled in, however the run frequency is
configurable. (We run our clients on 100s cycles, which means our msgs
tests last for 10-12m.)

I'm not sure how easy the 6x positions would be to be made dynamic or a
runtime option, but that would be nice.

Regards,

-jc