[Xymon] Sudden rash of "logfetch" crashes in libc on RHEL 6 Linux?!?

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Tue Oct 21 13:12:35 CEST 2014

On Oct 21, 2014, at 13:58 PM +1100, Jeremy Laidman <jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au> wrote:

> On 21 October 2014 10:01, Greg Earle <earle at isolar.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> Starting about 45 minutes ago as I type this, all of a sudden, 5 of
>> my machines running Xymon 4.3.17 have gotten afflicted with a mysterious
>> 'disease' - "logfetch" is endlessly crashing on all of them.
>
> I wonder if it's the same logfetch bug that's been lingering at least 3
> years:
>
> http://lists.xymon.com/archive/2013-August/038009.html

I believe you're probably right, I had found postings from as far back
as December 2011 to this list describing the same sort of crashing.

> You might try out the work-around mentioned there to see if it helps.

My work-around was to back-out the two seemingly-harmless "ignore" lines
I had just added to my "client-config.cfg" file!  I would try the memmove()
twiddle (if I can't solve it some other way) but then again I'm using the
Terabithia pre-cooked RPMs, so ...

>> P.S. Why am I getting these "isn't signed with proper key" messages as well?
>
> Maybe this can help:
>
> http://lists.leap-cf.org/pipermail/leaplist/2012-December/000836.html

Ah, interesting, thanks for that.  Not sure I'm too excited about going
'round adding 2 lines to 100+ "/etc/abrt/abrt.conf" files tho  ;)

	- Greg