[Xymon] Help tracking down ghost client

Robert Herron robert.herron at gmail.com
Wed Oct 15 22:24:48 CEST 2014

Xymon 4.3.17 on Oracle Linux 6

I have a ghost showing up on the my "Ghost Clients" report and I can't
figure out what's is happening.  A quick search of the archive didn't turn
up anything similar.

On the Ghost Client report:
Hostname              Sent from    Candidate            Report age
mail07.example.com    10.10.1.2    xymon.example.com    0:32

This "mail07" [g]hostname doesn't exist in my hosts.cfg.  It was removed
when the host was decommissioned two months ago.

The "sent from" address is my Xymon server.  The "report age" counts up to
just over 3 minutes, resets to 0, and starts incrementing again.

This [g]host was a net-only testing host -- CONN, SMTP, and HTTP. There are
references to the [g]hostname in analysis.cfg and alerts.cfg but those
shouldn't cause this.  The "mail07" string does occur in the
~/server/tmp/xymond.chk file but it seems to be ghost report.  The
xymond.chk line ends in "nGhost reports:\n  10.10.1.2      reported host
mail07.example.com\n|||0|0". No other file in ~/server/etc contains
"mail07".

I added "--debug" to the xymonnet's CMD line and to the
~/server/ext/xymonnet-again.sh but "mail07" doesn't show up in either log.

Any thoughts on where to look next?

Thanks.

Robert Herron
robert.herron at gmail.com