[Xymon] Different Timeouts for different tests?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Oct 3 08:16:44 CEST 2014

On 30 September 2014 06:45, Wilcox, Theodore A -FS <tawilcox at fs.fed.us>
wrote:

>  Is there any way to use separate timeouts for different tests?

It's open source, there's always a way!

You can possibly achieve what you want by running two copies of xymonnet
with different environments.  You could update tasks.cfg to include an
extra xymonnet section (with a different name) like so:

[xymonnet-20s]
        ENVFILE /usr/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        NEEDS xymond
        CMD HOSTSCFG=$XYMONHOME/etc/hosts-20s.cfg xymonnet --report --ping
--checkresponse --timeout=20
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonnet.log
        INTERVAL 5m

This will get its configuration from a different hosts.cfg called
hosts-20s.cfg.  In this file you would include only the hosts and tests
where you want a timeout of 20 seconds.

The normal network tests would continue to run, so you'd want to remove
those tests from the main hosts.cfg, but leaving the hosts in.

>   Also, the status of these sites is Red on the Main page or the
> AllNonGreen page, but if we drill down and look at the test for that host,
> it shows as green.

This might be a delay between updating the host test page to green, and
updating the summaries from the previous red state.