[Xymon] nginx as the web server

Bill Arlofski waa-hobbitml at revpol.com
Sat Nov 15 22:23:58 CET 2014

On 11/11/2014 11:53 AM, Bill Arlofski wrote:
> On 11/11/2014 08:58 AM, Mark Felder wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Nov 10, 2014, at 20:50, Bill Arlofski wrote:
>>>
>>> Turns out I had to add a line:
>>>
>>> fastcgi_param REMOTE_USER $remote_user;
>>>
>>> To the configuration.  Hope this helps someone else. (Thanks Matt)
>>>

>> Ahh, that's annoying. Didn't notice REMOTE_USER isn't in the default
>> fastcgi_params that ships with nginx. I'll throw that on my blog post.
>
> Oh cool.   Glad I (and my friend Matt) could help .:)
>

>>> I still can not get the Critical Systems editor CGI to work under nginx
>>> though.
>>>

>> Which part isn't working? I have never used it personally, but it
>> appears functional to me.
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> When I try to add a host/test to the list and click "update record" nothing
> happens, and the host/test is not added. The page does (quickly) reload
> though, with the host and test pre-filled in.
>
> Keep in mind, that for this to work quickly while testing, and have something
> show up in the critical systems page, I choose a test that is currently red or
> yellow and attempt to add it. :)
>
> Also, you can get a quick indication that it worked or didn't by setting the
> host/test in the form and clicking search after attempting to add it. A popup
> will tell you if the host was not found.
>

> Under apache, when I add a host/test and click "update record", I get a popup
> that says (something like) "record added"
>
> nginx logs show http 200 results on submission of the form, so there is not
> much I have to go on.
>
> Thanks for any help with this.
>
> Bill

 <facepalm>

Mark, list, et al

OK, I see what the problem is (was).

When you run the configure script for Xymon, it asks you what user name your
web server is running under.

This is so that when you run:

make install

it know what ownerships to set on some of the dirs in the www directory
(notes, snap, rep) and on the ~xymon/server/etc/critical.cfg file.

My critical.cfg file was 664 apache:apache from when I answered the "what user
does your web server run under" question on a previous install/upgrade.

I just changed my web server from apache to nginx, and of course the username
that nginx runs under is not "apache". ;)

I had caught this on the snap and rep dirs in www, but completely missed the
critical.cfg file in etc.

So this is 100% working under nginx now, but my only concern is that I got no
indication in any logs that the webserver (nginx) could not write to the
critical.cfg file, so that is kind of interesting.

Hopefully, sharing my embarrassment will same someone else the trouble. :)

Bill

--
Bill Arlofski
Reverse Polarity, LLC