[Xymon] status reports from systems without xymon-client

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Fri Mar 28 00:44:42 CET 2014

>On Thu, March 27, 2014 12:25 pm, John D. Alexander wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I have systems I wish to monitor but it will not be possible to place a
>> xymon-client on them.  I can create a script on these systems (in LUA) to
>> collect and send the needed data though.
>>
>> Is there an API by which I can pass the information without having to use
>> the xymon executable?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> John Alexander
>> Network Administrator

> There are a couple of options. If you can only script in LUA, but you're
> able to fork to run basic commands, then you might be able to leverage
> bash's TCP send feature:
> http://xymon.com/xymon/help/xymon-tips.html#noinstall
>
>Alternatively, depending on if this is a security restriction or a
>technology restriction (eg, not a real *nix box), you can actually
>regularly SSH in and execute the xymonclient.sh script as any unprivileged
>user, getting the data and processing it back centrally.
>
>See also: http://lists.xymon.com/archive/2011-November/033076.html and
>http://tools.rebel-it.com.au/xymon-rclient/
>
>HTH,
>-jc

You can also run an ext script on your xymon server, connect to the system via ssh as a particular user and have that user's shell be whatever command it is that you need to run to collect whatever data (or use the ssh "command" option for authorized_keys). The command's output comes in on STDIN and you can then process it  in the ext script.

cheers, Phil