[Xymon] status reports from systems without xymon-client

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Mar 27 22:28:22 CET 2014

On Thu, March 27, 2014 12:25 pm, John D. Alexander wrote:
> All,
>
> I have systems I wish to monitor but it will not be possible to place a
> xymon-client on them.  I can create a script on these systems (in LUA) to
> collect and send the needed data though.
>
> Is there an API by which I can pass the information without having to use
> the xymon executable?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John Alexander
> Network Administrator

There are a couple of options. If you can only script in LUA, but you're
able to fork to run basic commands, then you might be able to leverage
bash's TCP send feature:
http://xymon.com/xymon/help/xymon-tips.html#noinstall

Alternatively, depending on if this is a security restriction or a
technology restriction (eg, not a real *nix box), you can actually
regularly SSH in and execute the xymonclient.sh script as any unprivileged
user, getting the data and processing it back centrally.

See also: http://lists.xymon.com/archive/2011-November/033076.html and
http://tools.rebel-it.com.au/xymon-rclient/

HTH,

-jc