[Xymon] [xymon] canceling acknowledgements

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Mar 12 14:48:42 CET 2014

Den 2014-03-10 15:51, john.r.rothlisberger at accenture.com skrev:

This has been bugging me for years. Let's assume you ack an alert for
the service "W3SVC" for 4 hours for maintenance, which you have stopped
on purpose for whatever reason. Let's assume you also monitor services
for SQL, Java, etc. If one of those also fails during the 4 hours of ack
time - you won't get an alert. There are 3 tests that can have multiple
components which I would like to know if new alerts arrive while a test
has been ack'd: disk, procs, & svcs.

 As I see it, the core of the
problem with this is that Xymon currently bundles tests by the method in
which they are tested, not by the "thing" that they test.

So you have
a "procs" status containing the status of multiple processes. But these
processes may not have anything to do with each other, so handling
alerts and acks based on this combination-status causes problems.

Same
issue with e.g. "disk" or "http" status.

As the old-timers here know,
the reason for this is historical. That's a bad excuse, though, and it
is something that needs changing. It is "in the pipeline"; since we have
all of the rules for checking e.g. processes defined in analysis.cfg, we
can also tell Xymon to put the analysis result in a different column
than the "procs" column.

I just need to write the code to do that :-(