[Xymon] Code and Trunk.

Thomas Eckert thomas.eckert at it-eckert.de
Sat Jun 14 14:49:07 CEST 2014

Hi Henry,

On 13 Jun 2014, at 18:41, Steinhauer, Henry -FS <hsteinhauer at fs.fed.us> wrote:

(…)
> 3 - I had some questions also about the msgcache.c process.
>
> 3a. - Is this something that can run on a Windows system?

Not to my knowledge — even if there were I would try to avoid it for maintenance und performance reasons.

> 3b. - Or should we have a Unix system in our Windows sub-net to collect the Windows Client information to pass onto a general server?

You did not outline your network topology / firewalling setup. As you consider using msgcache I assume that your Windows machines cannot access the Xymon server.
What I have done similar situations

- have a unix box with xymonproxy running (this requires installing the sever package but everything of the xymon server is disabled and xymonproxy enabled)
- all (windows) systems report to the xymonproxy (as it that were the xymon server)
- if the unix box can directly access your xymon server you could let xymonproxy send all messages to directly
- if no direct connection is possible (firewall / security policy, …) you can combine the above with the `ssh-tunnel` extension by Padraig Lennon.
	For this setup have published an article: http://www.it-eckert.com/blog/2014/combine-ssh-tunnel-with-xymonproxy/
	(that also links to the original and my patched ssh-tunnel)

All the best
Thomas