[Xymon] Why Xymon?

Norbert Kriegenburg norbert.kriegenburg at de.ibm.com
Wed Jun 4 17:07:21 CEST 2014

One more point I want to throw into this discussion is the security aspect.
All our Xymon agents (also at the master server) are running under non
priviledged accounts.

Even for (Unix) Xymon client rollout we don't need special rights (agent
start is controlled by a user cronjob created during rollout, no entry
in /etc/init.d or the like).

There are only very special tests which really needs extra permissions, and
most of the time there is a workaround available to avoid this.

This minimizes the possible impact from monitoring to the system, and does
not conflict with security concerns of admins and management, and saved a
lot of discussions.

I don't know any other solution which is able to work like that.

Norbert