[Xymon] Can client extension scripts use client-local.cfg data passed back to client?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Jul 11 09:25:58 CEST 2014

Richard

This is an interesting idea.  Yes, you should be able to extract details
from the logfetch.*.cfg file, and changes in client-local.cfg should show
up there.  You can put comments in client-local.cfg and they will be
ignored by the Xymon client-side code, so you could define your own comment
format that works for your ext scripts.  For example:

###EXT:myscript.sh:VAR1=val1 VAR2=val2

Another option is to use definitions in the hosts.cfg file.  You can then
use:
  $XYMON $XYMSRV "hostinfo host=$MACHINEDOTS"
and then scan the fields looking for what you're interested in.  Refer to
the "xymon" man page for more detail about what filtering/presentation
options are available to you.

In the latter case, I follow the example of DEVMON, which prefixed its
variables with "DEVMON:" like so:

10.1.2.3 example-host # noip dialup DEVMON:cid(commstring),model(hp;dl380)
delayred=dns ...

Cheers
Jeremy