[Xymon] Additional Client messages

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Jan 31 01:08:05 CET 2014

On 31 January 2014 09:31, Andy Smith <abs at shadymint.com> wrote:

> I thought the answer was to create a client extension to send another ps
> listing as a client message with a unique Collector ID and run this as
> frequently as required

Seems reasonable.  My first thought was that the RRD file is only going to
accept new data every 5 minutes, and reject the rest.  However, that
shouldn't stop xymond_client from generating alerts.

>   When I do this, I find on the server that the client data does indeed
> get updated every minute but the extra ps listing (which I put in a section
> called '[ps]') is not apparently processed against analysis.cfg.  I know I
> can do this all on the client with a status message but I wanted to keep
> the configuration central and re-use the PROCS settings in analysis.cfg.

Can you run xymond_client in debug mode?  If so, check the logs for "Client
report from host ..." and/or "Duplicate client message at time ...".

Also, you could use "xymond_channel" in two windows, one to watch for the
client message and the other to watch for the resultant status message that
should be reporting the error condition.  If you get the first but not the
second, then something in xymond_client is preventing the analysis.  To be
explicit, run these in separate windows, as your xymon user:

xymond_channel --channel=client grep -A5 "^@@.*hostname"
xymond_channel --channel=status --filter=hostname grep -A5 "^@@."

The grep will show only the first 5 lines of each message, which is enough
to give some context, and to see the first line of each message ("status
bla bla is green" and "client/collectorID bla bla").