[Xymon] Email alerts with attachments - known solution not working

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Tue Jan 28 21:57:43 CET 2014

Barely relevant background info: I managed to wipe out my xymon server.
  I had a backup of my config information that's over six months old, so
I haven't had to rebuild from scratch.  I also upgraded from 4.3.10 to
4.3.12 when I rebuilt it.

I had run into alerts coming through as attachments before, but now
there seems to be an extra dimension to it.  Before I was able to fix it
with the following change in xymonserver.cfg:

MAILC="/usr/bin/tr -d '\\015' | mail"

Now that isn't working for all of my alerts.  With some investigation, I
have been able to determine that additional control characters are now
being sent from clients.  I've had to extend my MAILC variable to
eliminate additional characters:

MAILC="/usr/bin/tr -d '\\001\\004\\015' | mail"

Does anyone know if there might be additional characters I'll need to
eliminate before it gets sent to mail/mailx?  Is there any way to have
Xymon do this so that no special config is needed?

Thanks,
Shawn