[Xymon] c-ares

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Fri Jan 24 22:48:52 CET 2014

Den 24-01-2014 22:17, Roger skrev:
> On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 5:32 AM,  <henrik at hswn.dk> wrote:
>
>> So you can choose:
>> a) Run xymonnet with --no-ares and live with the fact that xymonnet may take
>> a very long time to run, resulting in purple tests and status messages not
>> being up-to-date; or
>> b) install a local caching BIND server where you put the normal DNS servers
>> in the "forwarders" section.
>>

> wouldn't you have to do 'a' *and* 'b'?

you could, but if you have a local caching server then it can easily
keep up with all of the Xymon requests. At least that is my experience.

> Just running a caching name server won't force xymonnet to use the
> local cache, right?

okay - no, you have to setup /etc/resolv.conf so it points to the local
cache.

(Actually, Xymon could use a caching server without having to tweak
resolv.conf, but you cannot tell it what DNS server to use right now).