[Xymon] Column order and accessibility of the 'info' column

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Jan 19 22:42:37 CET 2014

Den 17-01-2014 19:32, John Thurston skrev:
>> I like the idea of a different icon for the info-column. Try this patch,
>> it causes the info-column to use the "unknown.gif" icon which contains a
>> question-mark.
>
> Yes, this is helpful, and I have put it on my test instance to try it
> out. The yellow icons on every host are going to cause heartburn for
> some users, though.

<grin>yes, that might be a problem. I have changed it for 4.3.14 so you
can explicitly set an image-file to be used as the icon for info- and
trends-columns.

> I've tried querying the server for hostname.info and get no result. This
> makes me think that the 'info' test is handled differently from other
> tests. If I ask for xymondboard for host=hostname, however, 'info|green'
> is in the response. This makes it look like all other tests. That is a
> little odd.

They are special, they do not really exist in xymond, but are generated
"on the fly" only for the xymondboard output.

> By setting:
>   INFOCOLUMN="-info"
> I think I get behavior which meets my needs. The column will sort left,
> and the icon will be green.
>
> Are there limits on what characters can be used in the column name? Do
> you foresee difficulties in your sort, search, or display routines
> caused by leading the column name with a hyphen?

You should probably avoid characters that have special meaning in HTML,
but other than those I don't foresee any problems.