[Xymon] xymonproxy perf issue

henrik at hswn.dk henrik at hswn.dk
Tue Jan 14 15:02:52 CET 2014

Den 14.01.2014 14:23, Gautier Begin skrev:

> Last Sunday, I wanted
to start a xymonproxy (vers 4.3.12) on a Solaris 10.5 with 900 targets .
I had a performance issue:
> - The xymonproxy process used 100% of only
one CPU (no multithread seen).
> - On the main XYMON server, data from
this proxy (I have one other on Ubuntu with 50 targets working fine)
came with difficulties (delays and lacks).

> I tried to used the
-lqueue option for the proxy with no success.
> Nothing special seen in
any logs.
> The UNIX admin said me that the xymonproxy was just making
'time()' command all the time.

I've had the proxy handling about 5000
hosts simultaneously. On Linux, though.

I have not heard of such
behaviour before, and I am sure there must be others running the proxy
on Solaris in a similar setup. If you can make it happen again, please
do a "kill -USR2" on the xymonproxy process to toggle debugging on/off.

None of the Xymon tools are multithreaded - so far I have stuck to the
traditional Unix way of doing things.