[Xymon] Possible xymon bug - use of RRDPARAM in custom graphs

W.J.M. Nelis Wim.Nelis at nlr.nl
Wed Jan 8 12:28:00 CET 2014

Hello,

> I think I may have identified a possible bug in xymon. I am currently
> running 4.3.12.
>
> I am attempting to define a custom graph using the RRDPARAM variable to
> define the graph. The data that is "supplying" the graph is being
> generated by a custom check and it stores this data over several rrd
> files with a single value in each file.
>
> They key line in my graph definition is:
>
> DEF:p at RRDIDX@=@RRDFN@:@RRDPARAM@:AVERAGE
>
> What appears to be happening is that the different variables names that
> represent the different parameters for the graph are different lengths.
> It seems that what ends up being supplied to rdd on this line in the
> graph definition contains extra white space added into the @RRDPARAM@
> part of the definition line and that these extra whitespaces correspond
> to the largest variable name length. It seems to me that the internal
> data structure is getting sized to the largest string length and then not
> reduced for subsequent smaller strings and it just pads the rest with
> whitespace. RRD then gets confused as it is looking for a variable named
> "variable1  ", while the rrd file actually contains a variable called
> "variable1".
>
> I would love to get the bug fixed as it is preventing some of my graphs
> working. Happy to also be told there is a better way to do this. I hope
> this makes sense. Happy to provide more info if required.

This is not a bug, it is a feature. When making multi-graphs, and when
using @RRDPARAM@ in de GPRINT-statement, the columns will neatly line up.

The graph definition shows that you have a set RRD's, each containing a
single DS with the same name as the file. Is it possible to give the DS a
fixed name, for instance 'lambda'? If so, you can remove @RRDPARAM@ form
the DEF-line.

Regards,
   Wim Nelis.

The NLR disclaimer is valid for NLR e-mail messages.

This message is only meant for providing information. Nothing in this e-mail message amounts to a contractual
or legal commitment on the part of the sender.
This message may contain information that is not intended for you. If you are not the addressee or if this
message was sent to you by mistake, you are requested to inform the sender and delete the message.
Sender accepts no liability for damage of any kind resulting from the risks inherent in the electronic
transmission of messages.