[Xymon] State of the art SMS alerting?

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Wed Jan 8 08:30:42 CET 2014

On Tuesday 07 January 2014 15:59:57 John Thurston wrote:
> Can anyone shed light on the current 'state of the art' for alerting by
> SMS from Xymon? Are there recommended usb-modem/software combinations to
> achieve this?
>
> I'd like to have the option of sending alerts from my Xymon server
> without relying on email->SMS gateways. (When I need to announce that
> the mail queue has reached critical, it seems foolish to try to dispatch
> that alert by mail.)
>
> I'm running Xymon on Solaris which will ultimately limit my options, but
> I'm interested in any information you have to share.
We use a SMS box (I know it's from Siemens but I don't have the correct model
number) connected to a laptop with a serial cable.
On the laptop I have written a http frontend that accepts a number and the sms
text.  It does an insert in a mysql table.  This is picked up by smsd and the
sms is send.  When done, it's reported back via the http site.
Works flawless.

I have 2 of these so the script on the xymon server can switch over to an
other sms gateway if one fails.
It also has a mail 2 sms gateway implemented.  Mail to a sms domain
(sms.intra) is forwarded to this box.  Via procmail the sms is inserted in the
same mysql database.

Stef