[Xymon] 4.3.16 make depends on gnu find/xargs

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Feb 13 22:11:51 CET 2014

Den 13-02-2014 21:20, John Thurston skrev:
> There are several features of 4.3.16 I wanted (I'm currently running
> 4.3.12) but have been tripped up during the 'make install' process.
>
> ./build/Makefile.rules is using 'find -0' and 'xargs -0'. Neither option
> is familiar to me, but some reading of man pages indicates that these
> are options available on gnufind and gnuxargs (which I don't have on my
> Solaris systems).

You'll be happy to learn that this has been corrected for the next
release, replaced with good ol' find -exec. (Which has to be one of the
more bizarre examples of a Unix tool syntax).

> Are we expecting there to be files containing spaces in ~/server/www, or
> is -print0/-0 just considered best practice and the safe way to do this?
>
> <offtopic>
> IMHO, files don't have spaces in their names, and servers don't have
> frame buffers. I break the knuckles of anyone I find putting spaces in
> file names on servers.
> </offtopic>

I agree, but the fact is that people do put spaces into filenames. We've
been going downhill ever since 'they' invented "C:\Program Files" :-(