[Xymon] xymon client in 'local' mode, build pain

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon Feb 10 22:34:55 CET 2014

Den 10-02-2014 19:25, John Thurston skrev:
> It appeared to me to only require the pcre libraries. Were there others
> I missed?

No, those are the ones.

> I can see the case for server-side, but do not think it meets our
> business needs. I'm willing to be corrected if I've misunderstood how
> server-side configuration behaves:
>
>   + In server-side configuration, our log, process, user, etc data is
> passed across the network on clear TCP connections. In the client-side
> configuration, our host-specific data never leaves our host. The client
> can be rigged to leak very little host-data.

The status message is still sent across the network, presumably
including the most interesting log entries. But yes, that is a problem
in v4 - version 5 does TLS encryption of the traffic, if you ask it to.

>   + If a server-side configuration for log-watching is doing the pattern
> matching on the Xymon server, how do I avoid sending (resending) my
> entire log file to the server for analysis?

The logs are scanned by the 'logfetch' utility on the client, so only
the last 30 minutes of log entries are sent from the client to the
server. You can also limit the amount of log data by setting a limit in
the client-local.cfg entry for the logfile. Combined with the "ignore"
and "trigger" patterns you can weed out much of the junk logdata.

>   + Dumb client configurations are not always possible. We have many
> servers for which the Xymon-server admins do not understand the business
> requirements. In the client-side configuration, once the host is
> defined/authorized (in hosts.cfg) the server and application
> administrators can configure their alarm levels to meet their needs. In
> the server-side configuration, the Xymon-server admins are going to have
> to define the alarm levels for every defined/authorized host.

In my experience, the Xymon server admins have a much better
understanding of the possibilities that Xymon offers, so they can often
find a better way of configuring the monitoring than the business server
admins. Of course, they do need to talk to each other :-) I understand
that this depends a lot on how your organisation is structured.

> + If my testing is correct, the client-local.cfg permits the Xymon
> server to instruct the client to execute commands on its behalf. The
> 'file:' option accepts `back-ticked` strings which are used to generate
> dynamic names. This is very useful, but can also be used to do other
> things... maybe `rm -rf ~/*`.

Correct. But I would think that if you suspect that your Xymon server
admins would resort to such acts of sabotage, then you have a bigger
security problem ...

Anyway, that is why never recommend running the Xymon client as "root".

> The short version is, server-side client configuration can work for
> hosts on which I am the sysadmin and business owner. Since that
> represents only about 20 of the 300+ hosts we monitor with Xymon, it
> isn't a very good fit. I hope you don't drop client-side configuration,
> but I will understand if you do.

I'll keep it as long as it works without having to do a lot of special
code to support it. The current problems are with Makefile's,
configuration options and libraries - such issues can be fixed, just
like any other stupid bug. But I won't promise that it will be there
forever.

> We Solaris users are decreasing in number (thanks Oracle!).

Sadly, yes.