[Xymon] PULLDATA flag not behaving as documented

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Sat Dec 20 03:27:00 CET 2014

The "pulldata" flag is documented as supporting an explicit ip:port
combination. In the man file for hosts.cfg:

> pulldata[=[IP][:port]]
>     This option is recognized by the xymonfetch(8) utility, and causes it to poll the host for client data. The optional IP-address and port-number can be used if the client-side msgcache(8) daemon is listening on a non-standard IP-address or port-number.

but the application does not seem to be picking up the ipaddress or port
specified. It always uses the address of the host. Take the following
example config line:

1.2.3.4  foo.bar.com    # pulldata=5.6.7.8:2014 noconn

By the documentation, I expect it to try pull data from 5.6.7.8 on port
2014. It does not. It always tries to pull from 1.2.3.4 on port 1984

Looking in xymonfetch.c, I see where the parsing is done to identify
explicit IP addresses. Using a "xymondboard fields=XMH_FLAG_PULLDATA",
all I get back is "PULLDATA". There is never an IP address listed. My C
isn't good enough to trace farther back through the code :(

I think there may be an error in the parsing of the pulldata tag. Can
anyone help me unwind this and tell me what I'm doing wrong (or if there
is a bug I'll have to figure out how to patch)?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration