[Xymon] how to learn what is crashing my rrd handler?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Aug 26 21:16:25 CEST 2014

On Tue, August 26, 2014 11:04 am, John Thurston wrote:
> I'm having difficulty with my RRD handlers crashing and leaving gaps in
> my databases.
>
> I mentioned this back in April, 2014 but received no responses:
> http://lists.xymon.com/pipermail/xymon/2014-April/039547.html
>
> Since that time, I stumbled across a client which was occasionally
> sending me empty messages of the "data" type. When I stopped that
> behavior, the behavior was corrected. The behavior has returned and I am
> not able to figure out how to find the cause.
>
> I _suspect_ it is another client sending me empty messages, but how do I
> find it now that I have several hundred clients sending "data" messages?
> --

As an initial step, run xymond_rrd in --debug mode... You can send the pid
a -USR2 signal to toggle this setting without bouncing the process itself
(be sure you're signalling xymond_rrd and not its xymond_channel parent).

Ideally that can help you see what exactly it was processing before it
went down. If it's a full on crash, a backtrace from a core file would be
helpful for debugging after a segfault or something similar.

HTH,
-jc